[ale] Greg's using "those guys" ; -) (was: could somebody moderate this?)

Barry Hawkins barry at alltc.com
Thu Oct 7 17:03:31 EDT 2004

On Oct 7, 2004, at 3:53 PM, Bjorn Dittmer-Roche wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Oct 2004, Barry Hawkins wrote:

>>> err, apt-get?  aptitude?
>>
>> I have found apt-get and aptitude quite good, and better at
>> identifying dependency issues than CVSup, but that's just my personal
>> opinion from experience.
>
> I agree, but I think this has mostly to do with Debian's camparatively
> large and active user base rather than the apt system vs ports. One
> Debian developer I know keeps insisting that debian is superior
> because of it's strict policy about software and updates. He may be
> right and he knows better than I do, but my impression is that it has
> more to do with the user base. (before RH had apt, he used to insist
> that apt made debian superior. now it's the policy. whatever.)
This is quite possibly true, although the FreeBSD ports collection has
a pretty massive user base as well.

> Whatever the reason, the upshot is that you can pretty much always
> count on the Debian stuff to work -- expecially in stable, but also in
> testing -- whereas I have definately found things not working on
> FreeBSD after an update, and that can be a big pain.
Same here.

>> A couple of caveats on FreeBSD's java support.  First, there is no
>> native jdk/jre.  You have to use Linux JDKs with Linux binary
>> compatibility enabled. Second, you can compile your own native JDK
>> using the java/jdk14 port in FreeBSD, but be aware that it is a
>> journey involving the initial install of the Sun Linux JDK to
>> bootstrap the build, the download of several of the Sun SCSL-licensed
>> source package (you have to download these manually, due to licensing
>> technicalities; the package cannot do it automatically), the download
>> of the necessary patchset from the guy at eyesbeyond.com who
>> maintains it on his own, and then the install.  At the end of all
>> that effort, you find that the licensing implies stuff so shaky that
>> you expect to get an email from Scott McNealy with an MP3 of the
>> C.O.P.S. soundtrack attached to it - appropriately licensed, of
>> course.
>>
>> If Java support is a big issue for you, I would urge you to consider
>> a full-fledged Debian install.
>
> I did not find the java install to be so difficult. Going into the
> appropriate folder in the ports collection and typing "make install"
> walks you through what you need to do. The only thing I recall
> downloading manually was the SCSL-licensed source package.
I would not say that building a native 1.4 JDK is difficult at all.
The maintainers of that port do a great job, and they are bound to the
SCSL restrictions like anyone else.  I would say that it's less
streamlined than, say, installing the Linux Sun JDK using Linux binary
compatibility on FreeBSD.

> I think it took me longer to figure out what to put in my apt source
> list on debian (debian does not include java for political reasons)
> than to get Java working on FreeBSD.
I can't speak to that yet.  On my Debian PowerPC installs I have simply
downloaded the IBM PPC 32 1.4 JDK and unzipped it, set JAVA_HOME and
added java/bin to PATH.  That was pretty straightforward.

> I think both Debian and FreeBSD are great choices for the laptop. Feel
> free to ask on this list if you need help installing Java on either
> system.
Thanks, I may do that.
> 	bjorn

> Bjorn Dittmer-Roche