[ale] sshd crashing, RH AS 3

gchendry at bellsouth.net gchendry at bellsouth.net
Thu Oct 7 15:13:21 EDT 2004

I apologize if this is an old resolved issue, just started taking the time to read this group.

Just installed RH AS 3, Update 2 on a new SuperMicro Server
It appears to me that sshd is crashing, see the below debug info, note the write failed.
I've check all the usual stuff, multiple apps trying to listen on port 22.
You may not notice this from the debug info, but if I take the interface down and then backup (ifdown eth0; ifup eth0)
then a client can scp into this problem server the first time, but once logged out is when the crash occurs.

Yes, I know about the RH Support, no comment at this time

Any ideas????

Chris

# sshd -d
Server listening on 0.0.0.0 port 22.
Generating 768 bit RSA key.
RSA key generation complete.
Accepted password for root from 10.188.118.25 port 1176 ssh2
debug1: monitor_child_preauth: root has been authenticated by privileged process
debug1: Entering interactive session for SSH2.
debug1: fd 3 setting O_NONBLOCK
debug1: fd 7 setting O_NONBLOCK
debug1: server_init_dispatch_20
debug1: server_input_channel_open: ctype session rchan 0 win 65536 max 16384
debug1: input_session_request
debug1: channel 0: new [server-session]
debug1: session_new: init
debug1: session_new: session 0
debug1: session_open: channel 0
debug1: session_open: session 0: link with channel 0
debug1: server_input_channel_open: confirm session
debug1: server_input_channel_req: channel 0 request pty-req reply 0
debug1: session_by_channel: session 0 channel 0
debug1: session_input_channel_req: session 0 req pty-req
debug1: Allocating pty.
debug1: session_pty_req: session 0 alloc /dev/pts/0
debug1: server_input_channel_req: channel 0 request shell reply 0
debug1: session_by_channel: session 0 channel 0
debug1: session_input_channel_req: session 0 req shell
debug1: PAM setting tty to "/dev/pts/0"
debug1: PAM establishing creds
debug1: Setting controlling tty using TIOCSCTTY.
debug1: channel 0: rfd 9 isatty
debug1: fd 9 setting O_NONBLOCK
debug1: Received SIGCHLD.
debug1: session_by_pid: pid 2446
debug1: session_exit_message: session 0 channel 0 pid 2446
debug1: channel 0: request exit-status
debug1: session_exit_message: release channel 0
debug1: channel 0: write failed
debug1: channel 0: close_write
debug1: channel 0: output open -> closed
debug1: session_close: session 0 pid 2446
debug1: session_pty_cleanup: session 0 release /dev/pts/0
debug1: channel 0: read<=0 rfd 9 len -1
debug1: channel 0: read failed
debug1: channel 0: close_read
debug1: channel 0: input open -> drain