[ale] RAID1

Barry Rountree rountree at cs.uga.edu
Tue Oct 5 10:28:23 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 05 October 2004 09:51 am, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-10-04 at 15:23, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> > Grub was on those drives and now grub refuses to boot.  I assume it
> > may be because grub should not really be part of a raid structure?
>
> Grub by default is in /boot/grub which, based on what you said, seem to
> only exist on /dev/hda (unless you manually mirrored it to hdb).
> Therefore you will need a boot floppy/cdrom to and a new install of
> grub.

grub != master boot loader.  I expect /boot/grub is on both drives, as it's
just a regular directory on a regular partition.  The master boot record is
the first 512 (?) bytes on the drive and is not part of any partition.

However, the master boot record is not generally mirrored[1].  One workaround
is to use grub to put an MBR on each drive[2].  As to how to do that, it
looks like to get to the grub shell (in your case, probably from a rescue cd)
and type:

grub> root (hd0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit

Since I derived this from just a bit of googling, you may want to test it out
first (or read the grub docs).

Best,

Barry

[1] http://66.149.36.231:8080/mirror.html