[ale] OT: Where to purchase a Mac

Barry Hawkins barry at alltc.com
Mon Oct 4 15:36:35 EDT 2004

John Wells said:
> Mike Millson said:
>> I need a box running Mac OS X for testing purposes. Where is the best
>> place to purchase Mac equipment? Directly from Apple? Is there a Dell
>> type company that sells Mac hardware? Is there such a thing as small,
>> local independents that build and sell Mac systems? Where can I go
>> locally to demo Mac systems?
>
> Mike,
>
> A heads up...stay away from the eMac.  I bought one a little over four
> months ago, and it's a piece of junk.  The monitor emits a high pitched
> squeal that feels like it is pushing an ice pick through your temples.
> Their support is crap.  No phone support after 90 days, and I have to take
> it to CompUSA for servicing (woohoo).
>
> Buyer Beware.
>
> John

John,
    All Apple systems are under warranty from Apple for one year.  I have
had a problem with a system before and my experience was quite the
opposite.  If someone is giving you a runaround with the CompUSA
thing, demand that it be serviced under the Apple warranty.  Apple
warranty repair is remarkably fast, even when you don't have AppleCare
(within the first year, of course).

Regards,
--
Barry Hawkins