[ale] OT: unformat for fat

Stephan Uphoff ups at tree.com
Fri Oct 1 14:10:22 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 13:10, Geoffrey wrote:
> Preston Boyington wrote:
>
> > I know of Tiramisu (think it is from Ontrack) and there are several listed at:
> > http://www.handyarchive.com/free/unformat/
> > but they are windows centric (Flash File Recovery looks interesting)
>
> I'll check them out.
>
> > I have other tool links at my house, but this may help on short notice.
>
> I've found a couple of different apps, none find anything.  I'm
> beginning to wonder if the sony camera literally writes nulls to the
> whole bloodly thing.
>

> > you still have that dual-boot system handy?
>
> Yea.

In case you are desperate:

I would dd the complete flash to a file.

If you are not in the habit of deleting single pictures directly on the
camera then each files should be sequentially on your flash image.
Take a look at man file and man magic and find the magic jpg file start
string. Extract an image starting at a sector boundary with the magic
string until the end of the flash image (or maybe the next magic
string).
Try to open with various image programs.

Good luck
	Stephan