[ale] OT: unformat for fat

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Oct 1 14:04:23 EDT 2004

Calvin Harrigan wrote:
> Geoffrey wrote:
>
>> Anyone know of an app that will unformat a fat partition in order to
>> recover the files that were on the partition prior to the idiot
>> formatting it???
>>
> I had this happen to me recently, though on a linux partition.  I've
> since collected quite a few utilities.  Try this one:
>
> PC Inspector
> http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm

Well, these folks actually offer a package called pc inspector 'smart
recovery' that claims:

'If you have unintentionally deleted or formatted pictures, videos or
sound files on your data carrier or have pulled it out during a write
operation, no matter -  PC INSPECTOR? smart recovery can easily, quickly
and absolutely reliably reconstruct the lost data.'

Yet it did not find anything.  I'm really thinking that Sony wiped out
the whole stick.  I can't imagine how.  How long would it take to
actually write 128 mb?

--
Until later, Geoffrey       Registered Linux User #108567
                             AT&T Certified UNIX System Programmer - 1995