[ale] Clarification - Fedora as a server?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri May 21 15:24:42 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 11:34, J.M. Taylor wrote:
> Thanks to all for the input so far.  Just as a clarification, this is a
> dedicated server provided by a hosting company, so I don't have too much
> in the way of choice regarding what OS.  Yes, I could replace what comes
> with the server, but would rather run something the hosting company
> supports b/c it's easier on both parties.
>
> So my choices are limited to:
> - Fedora 1.0
As you are already quite comfortable with RH 7.3, you will be equally as
comfortable with Fedora 1.

Cyrus will compile just fine on a Fedora system as long as the requisite
*-devel packages are in place. rpmfind.net has ready to go binaries for
fedora core 1 of cyrus (plain and login support) as well as the cram-md5
and digest-md5 version for cyrus-sasl.

> - FreeBSD 4.8

Excellent platform. Different enough that the learning curve will
complicate the transition.

> - Tao Enterprise Linux
No clue. Never heard of until now. It is based on RedHat 3 enterprise.
RH3 is a rock solid platform. The only drawback to the Tao version is it
appears to be a 1 person show. You will need to watch for RH3 updates,
get the src.rpm's and build yourself the new new versions.