[ale] SuSE 9.1 questions

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri May 21 11:31:16 EDT 2004

Preston Boyington wrote:
> I am planning on picking up a firewire card this weekend and
> installing it into my SuSE box.  Are there any "gotchas" I should be
> aware of?

I've got a firewire card in my box, but I've not used it with 9.1 yet.
It worked fine under 9.0.

> Also I notice that my sound is turned down by default (seemingly) to
> 0 when I reboot.  I can open gamix (think that is it) and turn the
> VIA volume up, but don't want to have to do this every time.  Where
> can I put a "hard" setting so I don't have to worry with it again?

I think there's an option you can pass to gamix to set the default
setting.  I didn't get much help from 'gamix -h' though.  A bit of
research should provide the full answer.

> On a different note, anyone notice how, err... XP'fied this version
> looks?  I was initially put off (I'm working on it) but when I fired
> up the LiveCD for a friend she was very impressed (her IT guy at work
> had a bad experience a couple years ago and now is a M$ Wizard
> zealot).  so much so, that they are seriously looking into it for
> several workstations in her department.

As for the 'xp' look, you are referring to kde correct?