[ale] SuSE 9.1 questions

Preston Boyington PBoyington at polyengineering.com
Fri May 21 11:19:47 EDT 2004

I am planning on picking up a firewire card this weekend and installing it into my SuSE box.  Are there any "gotchas" I should be aware of?

Also I notice that my sound is turned down by default (seemingly) to 0 when I reboot.  I can open gamix (think that is it) and turn the VIA volume up, but don't want to have to do this every time.  Where can I put a "hard" setting so I don't have to worry with it again?

On a different note, anyone notice how, err... XP'fied this version looks?  I was initially put off (I'm working on it) but when I fired up the LiveCD for a friend she was very impressed (her IT guy at work had a bad experience a couple years ago and now is a M$ Wizard zealot).  so much so, that they are seriously looking into it for several workstations in her department.

Thanks,
Preston