[ale] X running excruciatingly slow

Joe Knapka jknapka at kneuro.net
Mon May 17 14:18:53 EDT 2004

Sergio Chaves <sergio at turbocorp.com> writes:

> Is it a celeron machine?
> I read somewhere that X on celeron machines
> need at least 512 Megs RAM with 800+ being
> optimum.

That's really quite strange.  If I can run X with no trouble at all on
my 200Mhz P2 with 196MB, it's just baffling why a Celeron (running at
perhaps triple the clock speed) would neet so much more RAM. Anyway,
I'm also running X just fine on a Celeron box with 350MB of RAM.

-- Joe

> my 2 cents
>
> Geoffrey wrote:
>
> > John Wells wrote:

> >> How would I identify this?  I am still at a loss on this one.  I've
> >> switched mice and keyboards, but same affect.  I booted up to a Win XP
> >> drive in same machine, same mouse and keyboard, and everything worked
> >> perfectly fine, so it's got to be something on the linux side.  I also
> >> upgraded the entire system, X included, to the latest versions from
> >> freshrpms.net...still no luck.
> >

> > If you're having interrupt issues, I expect to see some logging
> > info, probably in /var/log/messages.
> >
> > I'd compare the interrupts between linux and XP.  /proc/intterrupts
> > will show you active interrupts and also identify shared interrupts.
> >
> > I assume XP has some facility for the same as did win9?, but I've
> > not had the need to research it on that virus.
> >

> --
>   ?v?          Sergio Chaves            ?v?
>  /(_)\       www.turbocorp.com         /(_)\   ^ ^    Enhanced
> Solutions Computing   ^ ^
>                770.532.2239           Linux User #221305

Resist the feed.
--
pub  1024D/BA496D2B 2004-05-14 Joseph A Knapka
     Key fingerprint = 3BA2 FE72 3CBA D4C2 21E4  C9B4 3230 94D7 BA49 6D2B