[ale] OT:Hard Drive Switcher

Stephan Uphoff ups at tree.com
Fri May 14 15:32:00 EDT 2004

Geoffrey wrote:
> Christopher Fowler wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 11:28, Greg wrote:
> >
> >>On one of my machines I have pretty much the same thing.  Power on, bios
> >>screen appears, a "boot menu" appears with all of my disks & sources
> >>(CD-ROM, burner, etc) and you just pick which device to boot from - really
> >>handy when things get broken or I'm playing around (basically the same as
> >>the former).
> >>

> > That is a cool idea.  Is there a way to configure Grub to boot a
> > CD-ROM?  Instead of have it listed in the Bios as #1 I can have it in
> > grub on only select it as need.
>
> I'm just guessing that all you'd have to do is put the proper values in
> grub, after all, it's just another device.  This is something I might
> like to play with later...

CD-ROM booting is a bit of a hack.

Booting from CD-ROM will cause the bios to re-route floppy accesses
to special area (file) on the cd. (it can also emulate a harddisk)
I don't think Grub can do this.

For the details take a look at the El Torito specification.
http://www.phoenix.com/resources/specs-cdrom.pdf

	Stephan