[ale] OT:Hard Drive Switcher

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri May 14 14:58:55 EDT 2004

Robert Coggins wrote:
> I agree with you about boot loaders...  But let me say this...  Windows
> sucks.  It requires for some MS crap to be on hd0 and I do not want to
> reformat and move partitions on all of my drives (not right now anyway)
> just so that I can have windows in hd0.  I hardly use windows anyways. I
> did not want to fight the system just to boot to windows once a month.

So you put it there and put Linux on another drive.

> Anyway, the way I was talking about is virtually a boot loader.  I do
> NOT have to go into the bios.  There is an option I can press and it
> gives a list of items I can boot from...   Floppy HDD-0 HDD-1 USB CDROM
> etc...  I thought it was a pleasant surprise.

I would agree, but not much different from a boot loader.  You still
have to get both OS's installed.

> Maybe (Hopefully) I am wrong about windows needing to have garbage on
> HD0 and I can get it to work.  Please let me know if I am wrong.

I've not played with windows much of late, thankfully, but I think I
recall booting windows off of a secondary drive, but that was with a
boot loader.  If it had value to me, I'd play with it this evening, but
there is no value to me. :)