[ale] OT: LCD modules

Bob Slaughter rslau at mindspring.com
Fri May 14 13:18:17 EDT 2004

> On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 09:28:03AM -0400, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> > Does anyone know of a self-contained serial or USB LCD module that I can
> > use with Linux and is affordable?  I plan on writing the code to
> > interface with the device.
>
> Sorry I can't help you, but I would be interested in anything you find
> out.  I have a USB LCD module that came with a Toshiba Infinia computer
> I bought way back in 1996.  I toy around with it from time to time, but
> I've yet to get it to work under linux.  It would make a nice controller
> for a linux-based jukebox.

My preference is Crystalfontz:

http://www.crystalfontz.com/

I'm using a 634 Serial module on my home Linux box, using the LCDproc programs
(http://lcdproc.omnipotent.net/).

It's $45 without backlight, $60 with Yellow/Green backlight, $65 with Blue/
White.

They have tons of other modules, including USB modules.

I hope this helps, and meets your requirement of "affordable". It has been a
solid worker, and the display is very legible.

--
Bob Slaughter, rslau at mindspring.com     http://www.mindspring.com/~rslau/
North Georgia Modurail: http://www.mindspring.com/~rslau/ngm/