[ale] Suse Professional Questions

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Fri May 14 11:00:05 EDT 2004

On Thu, 13 May 2004, Greg wrote:

> Has anyone bought, used, and perhaps tested the Suse 9.1 Professional Update
> ?  I have always heard that with a *nix, it was better to re-install than
> update (unless it was Debian).

For any sanely packaged (Debian, Red Hat, SuSE, etc.) Linux, upgrades work
fine. Debian's actually more of a pain than most RPM-based distros if you're
talking stable release to stable release upgrades, just because Debian's
stable releases are so much more infrequent than everyone else's. The pain
in upgrading is fixing the incompatibilities afterwards, and with really
slow release cycles you have a lot more of those which have piled up and
have to be fixed all at once....

later,
chris