[ale] OT: What port does Ping (ICMP Echo) Use?

Jerald Sheets jsheets at yahoo.com
Thu May 13 14:18:26 EDT 2004

RFC 792 is a "must read" for you.

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc792.html

Ping is in it's own world.  While it uses the TCP/IP stack, it has its
own specil function called "echo".  Echo doesn't function on a port, but
at an integrated low layer of the stack.  RFC 792 says it much better
than I ever could...have a looksee.

Also, Ethereal, and Network General's Sniffer as well as TCPDUMP, NA
Sniffer, etc.  All recognize a ping as "ICMP echo", and this is how you
will see them in your trace.  You can even set filters to only show ICMP
echos on the segment you are sniffing.

Hope that helps.

--JMS