[ale] partitioning XP disk with parted

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed May 12 21:30:18 EDT 2004

The tool you are looking for is ntfsresize. Somewhere in my system I
have a statically compiled version that fits onto a floppy.

The process goes like this:

Defrag the disk with windows tools.
Boot system with Knoppix,
run fdisk -l  to get the current hard drive data. WRITE IT ALL DOWN!!!
use ntfsresize to change the size of the ntfs partition.
Then delete the entire partition with the knoppix booted fdisk.
Recreate the ntfs partition with the exact same starting point as the
original but the new end point as determined using ntfsresize.
Reboot back to windows and let the chdsk run.
Reboot back with knoppix and create the new linux space in the now empty
space or boot with your favorite distro installers and let it handle it.

Here's a link to a boot floppy with ntfsresize:
http://linux-tablet-pc.dhs.org/booter-144.raw

and a link to the ntfsresize page (which is down at the moment):
http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html