[ale] Cells phones and Java and *Nix

Bjorn Dittmer-Roche bjorn at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Wed May 12 16:38:02 EDT 2004

Thanks for all the feedback so far! this is all really useful!

On Wed, 12 May 2004, Fulton Green wrote:

> > 2. Can I establish a TCP/IP connection from the phone to my desktop? I'd
> > prefer to avoid the expense of bluetooth phones if possible, but I might
> > decide that it's worth it.
>
> I'm not quite sure what you're asking here.  Are you trying to ping and
> FTP from the phone to your desktop, or do you simply want to establish
> Internet connectivity with the phone providing the communications channel?

I want some sort of connection between my computer and the phone. I COULD
get internet conectivity from the phone and use that to connect to my
computer, but I'd rather be able to have them talk to each other directly
with some sort of TCP/IP. Basically, I'd like to write some software that
turns my phone into a remote control for some software I've written on my
desktop.

I am right that bluetooth can do this sort of thing, right?

	bjorn