[ale] Booting from Promise Ultra133 TX2

Courtney Thomas ccthomas at joimail.com
Wed May 12 08:19:52 EDT 2004

Not sure I understand your problem, but I run a couple of Promise
controllers and all I do is select SCSI for my priority boot option in
the system BIOS and up she boots.

I should add that I am required to have a drive carrier inserted into
both slots of the cabinet front, i.e. not actually plugged into the
card's channels, for Promise to detect any drive at all.

HTH

John Wells wrote:

> John Wells said:
>
>>Should the bios have an option to boot from a controller card?  Do I
>>
> need to search for a (probably nonexistant) bios update?  Or is there
> another way?
>
> Well....found a new bios update, and installed it.  It still won't
> recongize full size of the drive, but now has a "SCSI" option under the
> boot menu.
>
> Selecting SCSI seems to work (although this is an IDE controller) and I
> get the old familiar grub menu.  However, after selecting the kernel and
> hitting enter to boot, the system instantly resets and goes back to POST.
>
> I've looked at the grub settings and everything "seems" to be ok...how
> would I go about debugging this problem?  With the reset, I'm not sure how
> to capture any info...

s/v Mutiny
Rhodes Bounty II
lying Oriental, NC