[ale] Booting from Promise Ultra133 TX2

John Wells jb at devsea.com
Tue May 11 21:47:52 EDT 2004

Guys,

Rebuilding an old Gateway 400c and moving one of my larger (120 GB) drives
to it.  The drive already has Red Hat 9 installed and working fine, so I
hoped to have a smooth transfer.

However, after firing it up, I soon found the bios doesn't recognize the
full drive size.  Checking out Western Digital's site, on of the things
they recommend is purchasing an IDE controller card.

Just so happens I have a Promise Ultra133 TX2 card handy, so I popped it
in.    I can boot up to knoppix and mount the drive just fine now.
However,  I can't seem to get it to boot from the card, no matter what I
try.  The bios has boot options for 1rst IDE-HDD, 1rst IDE-HDD, 1rst
IDE-HDD, 1rst IDE-HDD, and ARMD-HDD, but none of these seem to work.  It
fails after floppy attempt, which is my second configured boot option.

Should the bios have an option to boot from a controller card?  Do I need
to search for a (probably nonexistant) bios update?  Or is there another
way?

Thanks!

John