[ale] Copying all those files

Joe Knapka jknapka at kneuro.net
Tue May 11 16:13:28 EDT 2004

"Matthew Brown" <matthew.brown at cordata.com> writes:

> Okay.  I ran across something I haven;t ever really had to do...  I need to
> copy a mess of files from the old Linux server to the new one.  Other than
> tarring then scp'ing, is there an easy way to do it?

scp -r /this/dir someone at thatMachine:/that/dir

> With Windows it's
> generally just mount the share then go.  Is it that easy with Linux?

Pretty much.

In the past when I've had to do this sort of thing, I usually
just install the new drive in the old machine and copy stuff
that way. But it's easy for me because most of my machines go
thru life with their skins off anyway :-) (Among other things,
I can proactively keep the dust under control....)

-- Joe

--
Resist the feed.