[ale] where to start?

Jim Philips jimmyc at speedfactory.net
Sun May 9 22:04:04 EDT 2004

My wife, who grew up in Ukraine, is starting to think about work here after
getting our toddler going in life. She has a good technical education and
some computer programming experience back there, but not much of it
applicable here. She would like to work in a technical capacity here, but all
languages are new to her. I know it's a tough question, but if you were in
that situation, where would you start? I told her she might start out with
shell scripting and then move to a higher level language, like C or C++. She
has had some exposure to bash and PHP here at home. She doesn't have
grandiose ideas about making big money as a techie. She just wants to be
gainfully employed. I've thrown in my 2 cents with her, but I thought I would
throw it open to the group. By the way, English is not her first (natural)
language. So, I'm asking for her.