[ale] Fedora 1 kernel upgrade

Bjorn Dittmer-Roche bjorn at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Fri May 7 09:35:50 EDT 2004

On Fri, 7 May 2004, Chris Fowler wrote:

> I've renamed the kernel and rebuilding.  I'll report back on what I
> find.
>
> On Fri, 2004-05-07 at 09:22, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> > On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 08:59:34AM -0400, Chris Fowler wrote:
> > > Has anyone here tried to upgrade the kernel on Fedora 1 with a stock one
> > > from kernel.org?
> >
> > > I am trying to use 2.4.26 and I believe that they have done something to
> > > the threading in the Fedora kernel.  when I reboot on the new kernel all
> > > processes that normally would execute under one PID with threads like
> > > mysql now have many PIDs.  Not only that but my Apache that I compiled
> > > under the Fedora kernel will not run.  It keeps dying for no apparent
> > > reason.
> >
> > > Any clues?
> >
> > 	There was a discussion on another list about threading and the
> > kernel name.  Something about if the kernel name ends in .nptl then
> > it operates in a different mode with regards to threading.  Some sort
> > of RedHat specific magic cookie in the name, I guess.
> >
> > 	I haven't tried to run a stock kernel on Fedora Core 1 or 2
> > at this time.  I'll see if I can find where that thread was being
> > discussed.  That's the only clues I've got on this one.  :-/

nptl stands for "native posix threading library", it improves performance
by keeping multiple threads in one process. It is a PATCH to 2.4 kernels,
but it is standard in 2.6 kernels. RH has been using it for some time. If
you want it and you want to compile your own kernel, you need to get and
apply the patch.

	bjorn