[ale] Shell Scripting -> find files *.<ext> and move them to /backup

Nathan J. Underwood ale1 at cybertechcafe.net
Thu May 6 17:08:01 EDT 2004

Ok, this should be an easy one, but I can't seem to remember how to do
it.  I have a seriously dorked up Win98 workstation (won't boot) that a
friend has given me to 'turn into linux'.  Catch is, though, he wants to
keep all of his pictures (*.jpg, *.gif), movies (*.mpg), and documents
(*.doc, *.xls).  I've done it before (thanks to the help of someone
here, if I'm not terribly mistaken), and am currently perusing through
the archives trying to find it, but need a script that'll do something
like the following:

find all of the .jpg files, and move them to /mnt/mymachine (samba mount)
find all of the .gif files, and move them to /mnt/mymachine (samba mount)
etc.

The box is currently booted with knoppix, and I've mounted a directory
on my box to copy the files to.  Now, I've just gotta find a relatively
painless way to move 9,000+ files.

As a testament to how bad I am at shell scripting, I'm going to put what
I have so far (tab #2 in my browser is at linuxdoc.org trying to get all
the parameters right for find, exec, and copy).  As always, any help
would be greatly appreciated.

find *.jpg -exec copy $1 /backup