[ale] New kernel, no COMPvpn -- ??

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Wed May 5 23:01:50 EDT 2004

ALErs -

I just went from 2.4.20 to 2.4.26 kernel by the simple expedient of
downloading the tarball, making oldconfig, dep, bzImage, modules,
modules_install, install.

Boots and seems to run fine, but startup fails to start 'vpn' due to
a missing 'COMPvpn' module. Sure enough there is such a module in my
/lib/modules/2.4.20 but not in ...26. I can't 'find' anything named *vpn*
in the source tree, either.

Is this gone? Should I have it? (I don't actually set up a VPN - just run
'sshd' for remote logins. If it weren't for the log message, I wouldn't
even know.)

TIA for any background on this.

 - John Mills
   john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu