[ale] Suse9.0 bootup freeze ?

Keith Hopkins hne at hopnet.net
Mon May 3 19:18:18 EDT 2004

Courtney Thomas wrote:
> The other night at the onset of a storm I attempted to shutdown -h now,
> Suse9.0, which is run from the CD.
>
> I did the same thing with Mandrake9.2 without a problem, which I also
> run from the CD.
>
> Upon an unsuccessful attempt to bootup Suse9.0 afterwards what appears
> on the screen is the following.....
>
>     gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data format violated
>     tar: unexpected EOF in achive Error not recoverable, exiting now
>     cp: cannot create /newroot/etc/liveeval.conf, no such file/dir
>     /sbin/init: line 434: umount not found
>     /sbin/init: line 436: /dev/null: no such found
>     /sbin/init: /sbin/live-setup: /bin/sh, no such
>     /sbin/init: line 442: /sbin/live-setup: Success
>
> and then, kernel panic ! and system freeze.
>
> Any idea what happened ? Can it be fixed ?

Hi Courtney,

   I haven't run SuSE from a CD, so I'm not exactly sure what it is trying to accomplish at that point, but it is saying the input stream to gzip (from stdin) is not in a valid format (corrupted).

   If you captured the lines above/below the error, maybe we can determine what it was trying to do at that time, and then have some idea if it is fixable.  Is there a floppy or some other device that the configuration is saved to, maybe it filled up and the config became corrupt.

--
Found in Sydney,
   Keith