[ale] Suse Consortium Update

Mike Murphy mike at tyderia.net
Mon May 3 12:45:36 EDT 2004

for American understanding, VAT == Sales Tax (but you probably already
knew that). (And yes, the entire conceptual concept behind the VAT in
most European countries is very different from the philosophy of a sales
tax, but I press on).

I suspect that one has to pay VAT on a CD's etc. coming from SUSE
because said CD's etc. are produced in Germany, using German labor,
etc., and therefore subject to VAT.

However, one would think that it would behoove Novel to start pressing
and distributing this stuff from the USA for US customers to avoid such
interesting (read annoying) international commerce implications. The
country of ownership usually doesn't matter to the governments of
foreign countries.

This isn't at all unusual either. I've got lots of interesting stories,
personally, of claiming bits of cisco gear as personal property, and
checking it on airplanes instead of shipping it to places in south
America to avoid the company paying both an import tax and an export tax
on both ends of a week long trip. Different sort of taxes, same principal.

Mike