[ale] CORBA

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Mon May 3 10:17:30 EDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 20:57, Fletch wrote:

>     Chris> Has anyone here tried CORBA and Perl?
>
> Aeons ago, and it wasn't fun.
>

> Unless you really need CORBA to interoperate with something else, you
> might want to look at XML-RPC (RPC::XML::Client and ::Server) or SOAP
> (SOAP::Lite) instead.

I have a Java class that is an abstraction to all SQL code in our J2EE
application.  I also have Perl code that works with the database.  I
want the perl code to go through the abstraction for all SQL stuff.
That way i have one manager that handles data and other people
(programs) can be notified upon inserts.  I was looking at CORBA to
allow my perl programs to communicate with the Java code that handles
all SQL stuff.

In some places I'm using RMI but RMI  is a Java -> Java technology.  I
do see perl RMI but i do not believe it can call Java methods.