[ale] Squidguard and blacklists working!!!

BruceG griffisb at bellsouth.net
Sun May 2 02:46:19 EDT 2004

Falling asleep here, but wanted to let you guys on the list know that squid,
squidguard and blacklists are working. I went to http://www.bn-paf.de/filter
for a script that pulls down blacklists from multiple sites, merges them,
creates text files and compiles into squidGuard databases. Pretty nifty!

I ran into trouble with my /etc/squid/squid.conf, /etc/squid/squidGuard.conf,
and some entries in /home/bgriffis/Documents/blacklists-upd/blacklists-update
script. After correcting those (just correcting paths to squid and
squidGuard) - I was able to compile correctly. Also, I did a bunch-o-junk as
root (I know, not supposed to) - so squidGuard was failing and I didn't
realize it. A quick look at /var/log/squidGuard/squidGuard.log gave me the
permissions error. I did a quick "chown squid db*" "chown squid url*" in each
squid database directory, and was golden.

So, porn, gambling, warez, aggresive stuff is blocked. Next up is to decide if
I want to use blocking on all PCs, or just on my business laptop - and if I
want to set up a seperate firewalled LAN specifically for my laptop to keep
it nailed down tight. I'll probably go with assigning hard-coded IPs to the
kids PC and my laptop, then blocking at the router - forcing traffic through
the router. Then assign a specific IP to my 19 year old son's laptop and just
let it out. I don't beleive in censoring adults, except when they mess with
the tools of my trade (that business laptop again).