[ale] X politics

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat May 1 10:45:26 EDT 2004

James P. Kinney III wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 23:31, Chris Ricker wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Bob Toxen wrote:
>>

>>>XFree86 on my Slackware systems has crashed only once in 6 years.
>>>I can't make the same claim about whatever garbage Red Hat uses.
>>
>>They used that same XFree86 garbage that Slackware did.
>

> I don't think I have ever had XFree86 crash in the 9 years I've had a
> Linux box running it.

I've had it go south, maybe once or twice.

> Gnome, KDE, and all the other window managers have crashed. Except for
> twm.

I've used Enlightenment for probably the past 5 years.  I've toyed with
other wm, but always used E as my primary wm.  I've not used kde much at
all, but my mother-in-law and daughter both use it for their
environment.  Neither has ever had it crash, to my knowledge.  I run
Gnome on top of E, and I've had it go sound, I'd say 20-25 times over
the past 5 years.  Just happened last night as a matter of fact.  I end
up restarting X and all is well.

> Good old twm.
>
> Ugly, but damn stable twm.

Yeah, you got that right, on both counts. :)

> Nautilus, if it ever gets to the point it needs to (to look and act like
> a Mac :) will actually be pretty nice in many respects.

I don't use Nautilus or anything like it.  Always found it getting in
the way.

> I'm not a KDE user as I was tweaking twm/mwm while KDE was ramping up
> and I didn't like the QT license snafu. But I do like the KDE sdetup
> with Knoppix. It made me reconsider KDE.

I've never liked KDE, just looked too much like Windows.  Further, I
can't stand the amount of time it takes to start.

> But the window managers still crash occasionally.
>
> Except for twm.
>
> It must be too brain dead to fail. Slackware can load it easily but
> RedHat/Fedora/Suse don't. I need to find my old .twmrc.

I've run SuSE with twm, on a couple of machines.  As a matter of fact, I
used SuSE and twm for a slide show presentation I set up for my wife.

Did you get any kind of error?