[ale] Speed comparison

Marvin Dickens marvindickens at bellsouth.net
Wed Mar 31 23:17:34 EST 2004

> > It does not, the P4s, especially the celerons are dogs.  I have a 1.8 GHz
> > celeron and I swear my 800 MHz Athlon runs rings around it.
> > I've been underwhelmed by the p4 since there were introduced.  Any
> > processor that is slower per clock tick than the previous generation has
> > something dreadfully wrong.  If you must do P4, get a real one, not the
> > celeron.
>
> Thanks.  It looks as if I'll be skipping the system due to the Intel
> tax.  The XP must be better.

FWIW, I always go with AMD. The only disadvantage I know of is that
AMD processors are destroyed in the event of an unnoticed CPU fan failure
occurs. OTOH, the Intel chips automatically shut themselves down when a fan
failure occurs and the temperature rises too high.

I remedy this problem by monitoring the temp of the chip (Via ACPI...) and
when the temp rises to a preset value (This value is below the temperature
that would damage the chip), a script sends me an email. If I miss
the email and the temperature continues to rise, the script shuts the machine
down once a higher preset temp is reached (Still below any temperature that
can damage the chip. I have not lost a single machine using this script in 4
years. Although, I've lost a couple of CPU fans...).

I can't see buying the intel product soley for the thermal protection that's
built in the chip. In my opinion, AMD product gives a better return on money
invested.

Best regards

Marvin Dickens