[ale] Partially OT: moving apps from old to new PC's(non-Linux)

griffisb at bellsouth.net griffisb at bellsouth.net
Wed Mar 31 20:47:05 EST 2004

> From: Geoffrey <esoteric at 3times25.net>
>
> I've got to say, this is a perfect opportunity to move them to Linux.
> Save them money, and have more robust systems.
>
> Don't tell me they can't learn it, my 60+ mother-in-law is on SuSE 9.0
> right now and has been on Linux for a couple of years now.
>
> Email and browser at first.  Most recently using OpenOffice to maintain
> the family reunion address book.

It would be good. My main concern is that the Parish records are in a Paradox
database (old stuff, it loads under DOS on the server). I'd hate to tackle that
project. But, since there should be a few "spare" PC's after all data is
transferred and tested, it would be a good idea to set up at least one Linux
PC.