[ale] Partially OT: moving apps from old to new PC's (non-Linux)

Preston Boyington PBoyington at polyengineering.com
Wed Mar 31 17:37:58 EST 2004

Greg wrote:
: Ghost by Norton.  I have transferred many pc's that way.  It (for me)
: has been reliable and capable.  I hear that now it even does
: Linux also.  It can
: move partition to partition or disk to disk.  I have even used it for
: backups.
:
: I think partd (parted ?) is the Linux open source equivalent,
: but I have no
: experience with it.
:
: Greg
:

the only problem with Ghost i have noticed is it seemed... selective about some information it moved.  on one machine that had a game (Half-Life to be exact), and I had to enter the cd key in after ghosting every time.

always wondered what else it didn't move.  i was under the impression it was a "true" image, but if it doesn't take keys then that is not the case.  maybe a "feature" to keep someone from using it for priacy.

maybe it is better with the newer, this was with "2000" and tried on several machines.

preston