[ale] Do I need a patch cable?

Trey Sizemore trey at fastmail.fm
Tue Mar 30 22:08:12 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 21:47, griffisb at bellsouth.net wrote:
> Trey - a patch cable is used when connecting a device to a switch or hub (or
> from a patch panel to a switch). A crossover cable is used when you connect 2
> PCs to each other without going through a hub or switch. You also used to use a
> crossover cable when daisy-chaining hubs.
>
> So - use a patch cable when connecting your nic to your 4 port Linksys router.
> Use a crossover cable if you go from one nic directly to another nic.

Thanks everyone.  Much clearer now.  I can honestly say I've yet to come
to the list for help and been disappointed.

Thanks again.

--
Cheers,
Trey

Adversity is the trial of principle.
Without it, a man hardly knows whether he is honest or not.
-- Henry Fielding

22:04:20 up 2 days, 4:20, 1 user, load average: 0.18, 0.12, 0.09
Linux salamander 2.6.4 #1 SMP Wed Mar 10 23:59:57 PST 2004 i686 unknown
unknown GNU/Linux