[ale] Do I need a patch cable?

Michael Still michaelstill at tmail.com
Tue Mar 30 19:59:26 EST 2004

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 7:39pm, Trey Sizemore wrote:
> And just so I have my vernacular correct, is the cable I'm using now to
> go from my desktop NIC to my Netgear router a patch cable, crossover
> cable, ...?
>
> Thanks again.

A patch cable is just a regular ethernet cable with some qualifications.
It is usually less than 25 feet long and made of stranded conductors.

A crossover cable is an ethernet cable that has certain pins wired
differently on one end. If you hold both ends up and look at the color
of the wires you will see that pins 1 & 2 are reversed with pins 3 & 6
on one end.