[ale] STORY LINK: Vendor slammed for 'selling' patches

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Mar 30 18:01:10 EST 2004

If none of these programs are covered by the GPL then why should they
give out free upgrades. It seems that they licenses their stuff by
maintenance agreements.  Maybe you buy their hardware and by paying them
every year you get a license to the software.  This is one way to keep
stuff off the used market.  It will not stop people from violating the
license but it will stop honest companies from using something they have
no license to use.