[ale] STORY LINK: Vendor slammed for 'selling' patches

Bob Toxen bob at verysecurelinux.com
Tue Mar 30 12:21:33 EST 2004

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 11:42:34AM -0500, Sigmascape1 at cs.com wrote:
> Not good.

> Vendor slammed for 'selling' patches
> http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105_2-5181825.html?tag=zdfd.newsfeed
When I saw the subject I assumed it was a company selling patchs to
Open Source products for a high price, which is a violation of the
GPL and hence a copyright violation.  This was not the case.

This was a company (ISS) that provided free patches to its clients on
maintenance contracts but which -- like every other software company --
does not provide patches to their internally created proprietary software
or support to companies that don't renew their maintenance contracts.  I
think that the title was debatable.

> Mitch Featherston

Bob Toxen
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux/Unix security consulting]