[ale] New Hardware

Jeff Layton jeffrey.b.layton at lmco.com
Tue Mar 30 10:52:44 EST 2004

That's really interesting. With our CFD codes, we beat the 2.4 GHz
P4's with 1.6 GHz Opterons by about 100%. This was over plain
GigE. Our codes are MPI based though so we can run on
clusters.

We haven't done too much testing on I2s. The limited testing
we have done showed that they were about the same speed
as the Opterons (can't remember the clock speed of the I2
boxes). However, the price pretty much killed the I2 for us.

What OS are you running on the e325s? Running a kernel
with the NUMA patche can make a huge impact (like 30%
or more). Also, adjusting the BIOS can make a big impact
(be sure to use memory interleaving). Also, watch your
memory layout. I've heard of some very serious potential
problems with the e325s because of their memory layout.

Enjoy!

Jeff

--
Dr. Jeff Layton