[ale] ALE NW meeting was a success?

Sun Mar 28 15:42:09 EST 2004

Eric VanWieren wrote:

> I think that the biggest problem was the tackling of multiple installs
> at the same time. With the way most of the packaged distros are, it
> might have been better to do one at a time, or to step through
> portions of each install and then go to the next when one got to the
> copying/installing phase. As it was, I was not able to follow
> everything that was going on.

Okay first off, sorry I haven't replied to this message in a really long
time. I have been extremely busy with certain conferences this past two
weeks and next week I will be in Washington DC all week long and I have
not had time to check the mailing list. Sorry about that. Secondly, I
agree that it was not the best organization yet I think it was a success
compared to some of our other meetings in the past. We had a good turn
out and we had lots of issues to discuss.

> Then again, there was the debacle with the deletion of  the root user.
> No names are mentioned to protect the innocent (Emil). (Don't worry he
> is a friend of mine and should be able to take the joke) That was
> actually a good chance to teach people about how user authentication
> works. However, people were still hacking away at the other distro's
> while the problem of fixing the root user was being handled.

1) Who are you???? lol
2) It wasn't me. lol

> It would have been awsome if someone could have taken control of the
> room and brought their attention to the problem at hand. This would
> have provided a great learning opportunity ( redundant yes I know).
> From some of the comments in the room, it sounded as if not everyone
> was familiar with the layout of the shadow and passwd files. The
> problem was eventually fixed, but I do not know if anyone got much out
> of the situation.

yes it would have made a good topic of discussion. completly agreed.

> Overall I enjoyed myself. However, if I was a newbie and it was my
> first visit, I do not know if I would return. I do not want to rain on
> anyones parade, but I am just trying to be honest. I might just be
> used to a little more structure, but I just can't say.

hope you'll come again Eric.

Emil