[ale] USB/802.11 experience

Marvin Dickens marvindickens at bellsouth.net
Sun Mar 28 01:30:17 EST 2004

On Saturday 27 March 2004 18:11, Bjorn Dittmer-Roche wrote:
> Is it easy to setup a USB/802.11 adaptor on linux?

Yes, it is easy.  I have a small WiFi network that uses a Linksys WRT54G as
the AP (Running the sveasoft firmware hack) to the internet and a Compaq
Presario 2570US laptop (My wife's machine...) as well as three stand alone
Intel Pentium class clones as clients.  This network performs flawlessly and
is reasonably secure. The Compaq 2570US WiFI interface as well as the Linksys
WiFI PCI cards installed in the stand alone machines are based on the
Broadcom 94306 chip set. The setup was straight forward, painless and worked
"out of the box" with both the laptop and the stand alone machines. As a side
note, all machines, including the laptop have SuSE 9.0 installed, but I
believe the ease of installation was not related to the distribution.

Documents and websites of interest (Which you really should read...) include
the Linux wireless Howto which is located at:

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Wireless.html

In the event native Linux drivers are not available for your card, other
options to achieve functionality exist. Specifically,  a commercial venture
funded by the Canadian company,? Linuxant  and the NdisWrapper project, which
is open source. Both efforts have produced reliable, working source code (I
have tried both modules), but I use the NdisWrapper code because it's open
source. Here are the links:

http://www.linuxant.com/company/

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/

Best