[ale] ps

Bjorn Dittmer-Roche bjorn at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Sat Mar 27 17:43:01 EST 2004

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004, Robert L. Harris wrote:

> What arguments are you using.  It may be the defaults.  Try "ps -eaf"
> but when you want all the threads (good for tracking users) try "ps auxwm"
>

> Thus spake David Corbin (dcorbin at machturtle.com):
>
> > I experience different behavior with ps on Debian and RedHat (9).  on Debian,
> > it lists every thread, and on RH it doesn't.  I looked at the man page, and
> > the -m flag (Debian) says "show threads", but I couldn't find a "hide
> > threads".  I vastly prefer the RH style most of the time.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> > --
> > David Corbin <dcorbin at machturtle.com>

Keep in mind that default RH and Debian kernels treat threads differently.
Debain uses the old threading model which gives each thread it's own entry
in the process table. RH uses NPTL, wich does not give each thread it's
own entry and, thus, requires less overhead, so what you are seeing is
probably a reflection of the Kernels' threading models _not_ a diffetence
in ps. If you want the new behaviour on Debian, I recomend upgrading your
kernel to a 2.6 series which will also improve your performance.

        bjorn