[ale] OT : SpamAssassin becoming inefective

Thomas Wood thomaswood at mac.com
Sat Mar 27 15:12:34 EST 2004

We had a similar problem at work after initially getting SA running.  A
couple pieces of advice:

Subscribe to the SA-Talk mailing list sponsored by Spam Assassin.  It's
loaded with good advice but gets several hundred messages on a normal
day so filter it...heavily.

Add a ruleset like Back Hair, Evil Numbers or Say No to Drugs.  The
names are a bit funny but they each tend to specialize in recognizing
one type of spam and eradicating it.  They're maintained by people on
the SA-Talk list too, so additions are welcome and added pretty fast.

Turn on RBLs and point it at SORBs.  This is the most reliable of the
different DNS blacklist zones I've used.  You'll probably want to add
SPEWS and Spamhaus to give you a better idea of what's happening in the
RBL Zones so that you don't kill somebody like comcast.net (currently
listed in SORBs).

Use bayes filtering.  This is probably one of the most powerful
features of SA.  Once we got it working with SA (we had some weird
compilation issues at first but that's Solaris for ya), the number of
spams slipping passed SA dropped drastically--on the order of 95%.

If you must send a bounce message when you don't deliver mail for
spamminess (the RFCs say you should) please don't include the SA
report.  It just makes the spammers more effective.  Create an email
drop so people can report errors--if any to you.

Once all that's in place, you should have a pretty solid barrier
against spam.  Anything you see at that point is probably a pretty well
crafted message.  Do the whole community a favor and report it back to
SA Talk.  One of the ruleset maintainers can add some regexs to their
list to kill that.

If you have any more questions, feel free to contact me on or off list.

wood