[ale] KVM switches

Greg runman at speedfactory.net
Fri Mar 26 18:53:03 EST 2004

I am using a Linksys Proconnect 4 way switch and it handles old stuff (486)
and new (Athlon 2400) stuff.  All os's are supported (linux, bsd, windows).
The only thing not is my SunBlade 100 with USB keyboard.  I use a MS scroll
mouse with everything and it is ok.  For my servers, I get a mechanical type
4 way kvm from Microcenter on Powers Ferry in Marietta for about $14.00.  I
have used these hooked together and separately with OpenBSD, RH, and Debian.
The hw they support is old (486) and new (modern Athlons).  They only
support ps2 and I have never had any trouble from them.  They are a great
low cost solution for what is mainly server monitoring and maintenance
related work.

The only trouble with the Linksys is sometimes the funky key combinations to
switch would be identical to a games key combination and instead of fragging
a dragon, I would be switched to another box - and upon returning to my game
I would be KIA - so that feature is disabled.

Greg