[ale] ALE NW meeting was a success?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Mar 26 15:07:19 EST 2004

Matthew Magee wrote:
> On Friday 26 March 2004 09:56 am, Geoffrey wrote:

>> But the one of the main points was to see how true they were to
>> their 'easy to install' claim.  Xandros, for example, initially
>> proved to be a challenge for Ray, who is quite experienced with
>> various flavors of Linux.
>

> If I remember correctly, that was due to the specific model of CD
> drive installed in those boxes.  If that is the case, then the vast
> majority of machines would not have the same problem.  Since these
> odd problems occur with any OS, even Windows, I kinda just factor
> them out of the comparison. That info could have been presented even
> if a pre-meeting install was done. A recap, of sorts.

Actually, that was the initial thought, but it turned out, I believe to
be an issue with the acpi.  Ray would know for sure, because he was able
to get the install to work.

> I am thinking that the most valuable information for new Linux users
> would be post-install configuration.  That's where all the trouble
> starts.  My angle on this is shaped by many discussions with users as
> to what they need in a computer.  Most are concerned with what they
> can make the box do after it is set up.  If they get a Wal-Mart box
> with Lindows or Mandrake, it is already installed, but they need to
> know how to be productive with it.  These questions are usually "How
> do I get it to.....?", or "why can't I....?"

Right, that was my drift in the last posting regarding the next meeting.

> I guess it boils down to time.  I am concerned that if we take the
> time to properly review the install process, we are losing time to
> cover post-install configs, like choosing apps to use, getting
> everything working, determining if the product is suitable for the
> task, etc.  Since I am holding the assumption that the majority of
> newbies that these distros are targeting would not be attempting an
> install, (at least not alone!) I am more focused on using the limited
> time resources on setup.
>
> If we want to attract new users, then we have to provide the proper
> context, otherwise they walk out and don't come back.

Right, but we have to have a good blending of stuff, otherwise we loose
the seasoned users as well.

I pretty much agree with your ten items as well, trimmed for brevity.