[ale] KVM switches

Trey Sizemore trey at fastmail.fm
Fri Mar 26 10:39:08 EST 2004

I know there was some discussion on this a while back, but I can't for
the life of me find them or remember which month(s) they occured in the
archives.  I've got 3 machines (p200, p2 400, and a p4 2.8GHz) that I
would like to share keyboard, mouse, video (hence the KVM switch ;-))

I've not used one of these before, so I just wanted to know what to look
for and what to look out for.  My current keyboard is PS/2, mouse is USB.
 My P4 has both ports as does the P2.  The older Pentium 200 is socked
away, so I can't remember if it has USB or not.  Should I get a KVM
switch with PS/2 then, just to be safe?  I have the USB to PS/2 adapter
that came with the mouse.

Also, is the switching done by hardware or software (and if software, are
Linux systems supported well?)?

Thanks for the feedback.
--
  Trey Sizemore