[ale] Setting up BIND

Alan Dobkin ALE at MaestroIT.com
Fri Mar 26 10:29:29 EST 2004

--On Thursday, March 25, 2004 8:21 PM -0500 Chris Fowler
<cfowler at outpostsentinel.com> wrote:

> Now that I have my domain registered and buford.linxdev.com pointing to
> 66.23.198.2 I want to now configure BIND for all my machines on the
> 192.168.1.X private.  How can I configure a file for linxdev.com so that
> it does not get confused with the actual records at:

If you create a local zone for linxdev.com, then that will be considered
authoritative for your machines, and they will never contact the actual
public DNS servers for this domain.  So, you will need to duplicate the
public entries (i.e. www, smtp, pop, buford, etc.) in your local zone,
which will have to be updated whenever these IP addresses change.

Another way to do this is to create a fake private domain, such as
linxdev.LAN.  That way, you will always know whether you are referencing
your private/internal hosts or the public/external ones, and the actual
public DNS servers will provide authoritative data for your public domain.

Alan

--
Alan Dobkin, Principal
Maestro IT Services, LLC