[ale] Samba Server on SuSE Professional 9.0

griffisb at bellsouth.net griffisb at bellsouth.net
Thu Mar 25 21:57:18 EST 2004

> From: Brian Chase <networkr0 at cfl.rr.com>
> Subject: Re: [ale] Samba Server on SuSE Professional 9.0
>
> You're almost there, need all three same and reboot or restart smb/nmb.
>
> >>From: Brian Chase <networkr0 at cfl.rr.com>
> >>Subject: Re: [ale] Samba Server on SuSE Professional 9.0
> >>
> >>You don't need a PDC, but then you'll have to set up your username and
> >>password as identical with your Windows box for maximum flexibility.  I
> >>use Webmin to set up Samba.  Make sure and set the workgroup to the one
> >>you use for your home network, and to add a user/pwd identical to the one
> >>on your windows box.

Okay - Samba is up and working fine. I changed /home to browseable, and can now
get to the directories by entering my Samba user name and password. Happily
backing up my laptop to my Samba share before swapping out the harddrive
tomorrow. The group doing the harddrive will image the old disk - but it will
be a relief to have a backup on a Samba share at home just in case.

Now I need to clean this up a bit. On my W2K laptop I can create scheduled
backups. Just need to make sure I'm logged on to the Samba server. So I will
have to figure that one out. Hmmmm - think I'm bgriffis on the laptop and bruce
on the desktop and samba server. That must be the last thing to do.