[ale] Samba Server on SuSE Professional 9.0

griffisb at bellsouth.net griffisb at bellsouth.net
Thu Mar 25 11:35:49 EST 2004

> From: Brian Chase <networkr0 at cfl.rr.com>
> Date: 2004/03/25 Thu AM 11:07:50 EST
> To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts <ale at ale.org>
> Subject: Re: [ale] Samba Server on SuSE Professional 9.0
>
> You don't need a PDC, but then you'll have to set up your username and
> password as identical with your Windows box for maximum flexibility.  I
> use Webmin to set up Samba.  Make sure and set the workgroup to the one
> you use for your home network, and to add a user/pwd identical to the one
> on your windows box.

Thanks Dow, Geoffrey and Brian,

   I had set up Samba Server and figured once setting it up was done, it would "automagically" start. Starting smbd and nmbd got that working. I rebooted to make sure they kick off when starting - and they do. That part is now good. I also checked the config, and the parts I understood looked good. Workgroup was set, print sharing is set, directories are not browseable - that might be my next step.

   I can now see the workgroup and print to the printer. That is working. My SuSE password and Samba password are the same, but they are different from my W2K password. I made them all the same now. I still don't see my home directory, but will mess around a little more. I do see the workgroup and the printer, so it's going in the right direction.