[ale] Script at Login Question

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Tue Mar 23 17:33:41 EST 2004

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Jonathan Glass wrote:

> I was thinking of logging their entire sessions.  We're doing some
> performance benchmarking, and it would make collecting the results more
> reliable than asking the researchers for them.  They tend to be a bit slow
> in responding.  :)
>
> I'm also thinking about it from a security/audit standpoint.  My users are
> all Windows/Samba users, so it would be nice to log any shell activity on
> their accounts, since they should have very little reason to use a shell.

depending upon your needs, process accounting may be less cludgy for what
you're wanting. Just a few caveats to remember if you consider it:

1. it logs when the command exits, not when it starts (and if the command
never exits, it never logs)
2. it logs commands run, but not arguments passed to them
3. someone running "cp badcommand ~/bin/ls && ~/bin/ls" will show up as
having executed
       cp
       ls
(ie, it's not bullet-proof)