[ale] Memory settings/was - Hardware problems continue

Jim Seymour bluejay at speedfactory.net
Tue Mar 23 13:09:40 EST 2004

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 05:01:29AM -0500, Jim Seymour wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 03:29:32PM -0500, Stephan Uphoff wrote:
> >
> > http://www.memtest86.com/#trouble
> > with an Athalon! On occasion test 5/8 errors will occur even with name brand memory
> > and a quality motherboard. These errors are legitimate and should be corrected.

This appears to be where I am at this point. The system stayed up for
about 31 hours before locking up. Running memtest86 with the latest
memory settings has me down to only 6 errors (previous 15000+) during
test #5 and eliminated the errors on all other tests. The documentation
on memtest86 indicates a small number of errors are legitimate so it
looks like my combo doesn't like one of its partners. I prefer to use
PC3200 to leave me open for processor upgrade when the prices drop. Any
suggestions from someone running an Athalon XP on PC3200? I'll be going
with 2 512mb sticks again.

Thanks,

Jim