[ale] Hardware problems continue on new system

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat Mar 20 23:25:18 EST 2004

On Sat, 2004-03-20 at 22:55, Jim Seymour wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 10:40:03PM -0500, Liberie F. Cunha-Neto wrote:
> > you are overcloking this machine ?
> > i see in my A7n8X-X not stay stable if the FSB is more than 198Mhz
> >
> > try adjust your FSB , Vcore and mult.
> >
> > my AthlonXP 1700 , is running a Chip MHz 2330.07 STABLE
> > and i'm using Gentoo Linux , work at 2450Mhz but Not Stable and give-me
> > a lot GCC errors
> >

> I did not think I was overclocking it. From dmesg:
>
> CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+ stepping 00
> Enabling fast FPU save and restore... done.
> Enabling unmasked SIMD FPU exception support... done.
> Checking 'hlt' instruction... OK.
> POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX
> enabled ExtINT on CPU#0
> ESR value before enabling vector: 00000000
> ESR value after enabling vector: 00000000
> Using local APIC timer interrupts.
> calibrating APIC timer ...
> ..... CPU clock speed is 1913.1807 MHz.
> ..... host bus clock speed is 332.7270 MHz.
>
> >From my information the memory speed is supposed to 333MHz for this
> processor. This seems to match the information I found. Any attempt I've
> made so far to alter values results in even worse behavior.

At this point, it sounds like there3 is a serious problem with either
the bios clocking setup or the RAM is bad. A third issue could be power
supply.

Try running the clock speed down on the entire system and run memtest.
Also, try to run memtest on the same ram installed in another board. Try
different ram in the same board.

Verify that the RAM is actually what you think it is. It does happen
that the store hands out the wrong part. Try looking up chip codes to
see if they match the specs you are trying.

It is also possible that the power supply is only marginally in spec.
Add a motherboard only marginally in spec and the system may be now out
of spec for what the power supply can deliver. If the issue clears up a
bit with nothing plugged in but the mother board and the device used to
run memtest from, change the powersupply.

Best test would be to take to system to where you got the ram. Get them
to produce new ram. Run memtest right there with them watching. If the
new ram fails as well, get a new mother board and test the old ram.